IXP

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat Apr 18 21:12:24 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:17:11 -0400
> From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb at cs.columbia.edu>
>
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:58:24 +0000
> bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>
> > 	i make the claim that simple, clean design and execution is
> > best. even the security goofs will agree.
>
> "Even"?  *Especially* -- or they're not competent at doing security.

wouldn't a security person also know about

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_spoofing

and know that many colo facilities now use one customer per vlan due
to this concern?  (i remember florian weimer being surprised that we
didn't have such a policy on the ISC guest network.)

if we maximize for simplicity we get a DELNI.  oops that's not fast
enough we need a switch not a hub and it has to go 10Gbit/sec/port.
looks like we traded away some simplicity in order to reach our goals.