IXP

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Apr 18 15:35:51 UTC 2009

On 18/04/2009 01:08, Paul Vixie wrote:
> i've spent more than several late nights and long weekends dealing with
> the problems of shared multiaccess IXP networks.  broadcast storms,
> poisoned ARP, pointing default, unintended third party BGP, unintended
> spanning tree, semitranslucent loops, unauthorized IXP LAN extension...
> all to watch the largest flows move off to PNI as soon as somebody's
> port was getting full.

Paul- to be fair, things might have moved on a little since the earlier
years of internet exchanges. These days, we have switches which do
multicast and broadcast storm control, unicast flood control, mac address
counting, l2 and l3 acls, dynamic arp inspection, and they can all be
configured to ignore bpdus in a variety of imaginative ways. We have arp
sponges and broadcast monitors. We have edge routers which can do multiple
flavours of urpf, and for those hardcore types who don't like md5 or gtsm,
there's always ipsec for bgp sessions.

I have to be honest: i just don't care if people use L2 connectivity to get
to an exchange from a router somewhere else on their LAN. They have one mac
address to play around with, and if they start leaking mac addresses
towards the exchange fabric, all they're going to do is hose their own
connectivity. If they are silly enough to enable stp at their edge, then
that will trash their connectivity, as a carrier up event will trigger STP
packets from their switch before their router notices, and mac learning
will prevent their router from gaining access to the exchange. If they
decide to loop their L2 traffic, do I care? They'll just be chopped off
automatically, and I'll get an email. And if people behave really
cretinously, I'll just bang in more L2 or L3 filters to stop them from
tickling my monitoring systems, but most likely at that stage, they will
have been extensively depeered due to technical ineptitude. Stupid
behaviour is self-limiting and is really just an annoyance these days
rather than a problem.

As you've noted, there is a natural progression for services providers here
from shared access to pni, which advances according to the business and
financial requirements of the parties involved. If exchange users decide
to move from shared access peering to PNI, good for them - it means their
business is doing well. But this doesn't mean that IXPs don't offer an
important level of service to their constituents. Because of them, the isp
industry has convenient access to dense interconnection at a pretty decent
price.

> Q in Q is not how i'd build this... cisco and juniper both have
> hardware tunnelling capabilities that support this stuff...  it just
> means as the IXP fabric grows it has to become router-based.

Hey, I have an idea: you could take this plan and build a tunnel-based or
even a native IP access IXP platform like this, extend it to multiple
locations and then buy transit from a bunch of companies which would give
you a native L3 based IXP with either client prefixes only or else an
option for full DFZ connectivity over the exchange fabric.  You could even
build a global IXP on this basis!  It's a brilliant idea, and I just can't
imagine why no-one thought of it before.

Nick