IXP - PNI

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Fri Apr 17 21:56:40 UTC 2009

> The construct also doesn't scale well for multicast traffic exchange if
> there's a significant number of multicast peers even though the traffic
> might be low for individual source ASNs.  On the other hand, if the IXP
> doesn't use IGMP/MLD snooping capable switches, then I suppose it doesn't
> matter.

the people who do massive volumes of multicast in my experience have also
been the ones whose network policies, or unicast traffic volumes, or both,
prevented them from joining CSMA peering fabrics.  CSMA assumes a large
number of small flows, which is not what i see in the multicast market, but
i admit that i'm not as involved as i used to be.