IXP - PNI

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Fri Apr 17 21:44:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> the vlan tagging idea is a virtualization of the PNI construct.
> why use an IX when running 10's/100's/1000's of private network
> interconnects will do?
>

> granted, if out of the 120 ASN's at an IX, 100 are exchanging on
> average - 80KBs - then its likley safe to dump them all into a single
> physical port and vlan tag the heck out of it.
>
> its those other 20 that demand some special care.

The construct also doesn't scale well for multicast traffic exchange if
there's a significant number of multicast peers even though the traffic
might be low for individual source ASNs.  On the other hand, if the IXP
doesn't use IGMP/MLD snooping capable switches, then I suppose it doesn't
matter.

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN