IXP

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Fri Apr 17 18:39:17 UTC 2009

> > I like would to know what are best practices for an
> internet exchange.
> > I have some concerns about the following; Can the IXP
> members use RFC
> > 1918 ip addresses for their peering?
>
> No. Those IP addresses will at least appear on traceroutes;
> also, it might not be such a good idea to use the same RFC1918 space
> (accidentally) on different IXPs. This will get your skin
> crawling (thing IGP, or at least config databases)... IXPs
> can usually get a v4 and a v6 block for their peering grid easily.

Anyone with a decently configured firewall would block IP packets with
source address from RFC1918 coming from the Internet. Your IXP would appear
as a black hole in traceroute printout because the ICMP replies sent from
the IXP IP addresses would be blocked.

A while ago I've described a few more caveats in an article (see
http://blog.ioshints.info/2008/08/private-ip-addresses-in-public-networks.ht
ml).

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about