IXP

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Fri Apr 17 14:21:28 UTC 2009

me at sharloncarty.net (Sharlon R. Carty) wrote:

> I like would to know what are best practices for an internet exchange. I
> have some concerns about the following;
> Can the IXP members use RFC 1918 ip addresses for their peering?

No. Those IP addresses will at least appear on traceroutes; also,
it might not be such a good idea to use the same RFC1918 space
(accidentally) on different IXPs. This will get your skin crawling
(thing IGP, or at least config databases)... IXPs can usually get
a v4 and a v6 block for their peering grid easily.

> Can the IXP members use private autonomous numbers for their peering?

They could, but what would you then do with them inside your IGP?
And apart from that - ISPs that want to peer tend to have their
ASNs ready...

I am not an IXP operator, but I know of no exchange (public or
private, big or closet-style) that uses private ASNs or RFC1918
space.

Elmar.