IXP

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Apr 17 14:18:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:11:30AM -0400, Sharlon R. Carty wrote:
> Hello NANOG,
>
> I like would to know what are best practices for an internet exchange. I
> have some concerns about the following;
> Can the IXP members use RFC 1918 ip addresses for their peering?
> Can the IXP members use private autonomous numbers for their peering?
>
> Maybe the answer is obviuos, but I like to know from any IXP admins what
> their setup/experiences have been.
>
> --
> --sharlon

	15 years into the exchange trade has given me the following insights:

	RFC1918 space can be used - but virtually everyone who starts there
	migrates to globally unique space.

	Private ASNs - same deal.  Private ASNs tend to have special treatment
	inside ISPs - so path matching gets you in the end.

--bill