So I've got this 2.5gig wave, what do I do with it?

Adam Rothschild asr+nanog at latency.net
Fri Apr 17 03:28:40 UTC 2009

As Facebook might caution us, "it's complicated".

It's not uncommon for a 2.5G wave to be protocol-agnostic most of the
way through, and then required to pass through a SONET/SDH framer at
the end...

You've be well-served to find somebody at your carrier clued on their
transport platform, or absent that, able to read off the configuration
options their shiny OSS GUI provides.  If you could shed some light on
who the carrier is, chances are they've got a customer or two on the
list able to provide some implementation specifics.

The silver lining in this all is nobody's buying 2.5G wave service,
and as such, there's a plethora of cheap hardware options on the
secondary market able to handle the requisite circuit emulation and/or
packet forwarding -- Cisco 15454/GSR/OSM, Turin, Juniper routers with
I-1OC48-SON-SMIR and P-1GE-SX-Bs -- choose your poison.  (Easier
still, albeit far less fun, upgrade to a 10G {LAN,WAN}-PHY interface
for a couple pennies more. :-)

HTH,
-a