SIP - perhaps botnet? anyone else seeing this?

Dane dane at pktloss.net
Wed Apr 15 16:35:43 UTC 2009

The timing of your email as well as a couple of seemingly unrelated
things that I have heard about make me think this might be related to
some large toll fraud scheme.

Today I heard from someone who says Verizon is telling them they see
about 700 calls per hour to Cuba originating from their PRI.

Obviously some type of toll fraud.  Got me thinking about this persons
phone system and how there has always been the issue of toll fraud
where someone calls in and knows how to get an outbound call routed
through a poorly setup PBX.

However the rate of 700 calls per hour and one PRI just don't make
sense or add up in a situation like the old toll fraud method
mentioned earlier since I believe that's more of a manual attack.

That's when I recalled this post of yours.  Made me wonder if there
was some way to exploit SIP to associate with a VoIP PBX or gateway or
something that was tied to PRI's and thus route your calls over
someones phone system.

Sure enough found some discussions and posts regarding toll fraud to
Cuba (and others) in relation to SIP.

For instance, Cisco's CallManager Express device which is a router as
well as voip pbx is often tied to PSTN or PRI's and by default allows
H323 TCP/1720 and SIP UDP/5060 ports open by default.

It may seem obvious to others but new to me that these scans are
related to someone or some group looking to find devices with these
ports open in an effort to attach to them through SIP and hopefully
exploit if attached to PRI's or PSTN for toll fraud.

I really do learn something new everyday, some smart deviant people out there.