Diversity - was: Fiber cut in SF area

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 15:00:50 UTC 2009

Rod Beck wrote:
> And if the 10 gig wave is from 1 Wilshire to 60 Hudson with hundreds of regen huts and 30 POPs in between?
>
> How that affect the capex cost?

Sure, the capex cost of offering full diversity is substantial; my point
was just that the cost of switching STM64 signals at the endpiints need
not be a significant issue, since you only have to switch the optical
path, which is cheap to do and highly reliable, and the kit to do that
will only make up a tiny fraction of the rest of the capital and
operations cost.

-- Neil