Network SLA

Saqib Ilyas msaqib at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:22:52 UTC 2009

I talked to the NOC personnel at a small (compared to North American
standards) ISP in Pakistan. They said that their core links are operating at
less than 50% utilization most of the time. Under such conditions, violating
SLA conditions in the core is unlikely. If such is also the case with most
service providers in the North America as well, then why would they even use
active measurement such as iPerf or BRIX or Cisco IP SLAs before signing an
SLA?
Thanks and best regards