Fiber cut in SF area

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Tue Apr 14 02:12:04 UTC 2009

> > -P
>
> 	Yo, Peter.  You speak of "infrastructure" as if it was a monolithic thing.
> 	Why would you think that some localized NoCal fiber cuts would be taking out
> 	the whole countrys infrastructure?
> --bill

If you are talking residential access, in the future when people work
from home, the study we did in 2000 came down to that you can only
loose 30 subs on a single-point-of failure tehing, and the
recomendation was to interlave them, so your neighbour would have
connectivity.

While on this, we have an even bigger problem, the impact of loosing
power is bigger, but their system has not gained the same amount of
complexity as ours in the last 100 years.. (the book from 1907 on
power-lines is still applicable.)

-P