Fiber cut in SF area

Shane Ronan sronan at fattoc.com
Tue Apr 14 01:14:32 UTC 2009

But you are ignoring the cost of designing, procuring, installing,
monitoring, maintaining such a solution for the THOUSANDS of man holes
and hand holes in even a small fiber network.

The reality is, the types of outages that these things would protect
against (intentional damage to the physical fiber) just don't happen
often enough to warrant the cost. These types of solutions don't
protect against back hoes digging up the fiber, as even if they gave a
few minutes of advanced notice, the average telco can't get someone to
respond to a site in an hour let alone minutes.