Fiber cut in SF area

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Apr 14 00:31:04 UTC 2009

Nathan Ward wrote:
> Whack a $5 12v horn on it, and my bet is that it'd become a deterrent
> pretty quickly.

Presumes the perp isn't familiar with the hole, and it's security
measures. In this case, I doubt that either is the case. Pop in, snip
the wires on the horn, and do what you do.

Most of these measures also presume no shared access. I don't know the
layout in the area, but I would expect that some manholes/routes are
shared usage and maintenance. Not that my rural self remembers what a
manhole looks like under the lid. :)

I'm betting inside job, which means redundant routes, security measures,
etc all tend to go out the window unless some serious money goes into
it, and even then, is there a security mechanism that can't be broken?

Jack