BGP FlowSpec support on provider networks

Fouant, Stefan Stefan.Fouant at neustar.biz
Sat Apr 11 19:56:27 UTC 2009

I am familiar with the situation with the IPR and I have to say it's a
very disappointing turn of events.  I've long held Juniper in high
regard as a leader in innovation, but in this instance I feel their
actions are doing quite the opposite.

That aside, it's 2009 and we're still left with a situation where
methodologies which have been used for roughly a decade now (i.e. BGP
triggered destination-based filtering) is still considered the norm.
Now I realize that FlowSpec isn't a panacea, but it certainly meets some
of the requirements that many customers have today, and it gives us a
lot more flexibility over simply destination based filtering.  Whether
it's FlowSpec or something else, what's it going to take to get the
vendors and the providers to start moving forward on technologies that
are way overdue given the current trend of worms, botnets, and other
Internet nastiness?

Stefan Fouant: NeuStar, Inc.
Principal Network Engineer
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
[ T ] +1 571 434 5656 [ M ] +1 202 210 2075
[ E ] stefan.fouant at neustar.biz [ W ] www.neustar.biz