[OT] Re: Fiber cut in SF area

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Apr 11 16:50:55 UTC 2009

On Saturday 11 April 2009 08:31:55 Joe Greco wrote:
> Speaking of that, a manhole cover is
> typically protecting some hole, accessway, or vault that's made out of
> concrete.

An oxyacetylene torch or a plasma cutter will slice through regular steel
manhole covers in minutes.

You can cut the concrete, too, for that matter, with oxyacetylene, as long as
you wear certain protective gear.  We have a few vault covers here that are
concrete covering the largest vaults we have.  You need more than a manhole
hook to get one of those covers up.

The locking covers I have seen here put the lock(s) on the inside cover cam
jackscrew (holes through the jackscrew close to the inside cover seal rod
nut), rather than on the outside cover, thus keeping the padlocks out of the
weather.

One way of making a site more resistant to 'inside job' issues is with SCIF-
like controls (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitive_Compartmented_Information_Facility )
and using combination locks such as the Sargent and Greenleaf 8077AD for
control, and the S&G 833 superpadlock for security (see
http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/PL-833.php ).  The tech would have the
833's key, and the area supervisor the combination.  The 8077AD's combination
is very easily changed in the field, and could be changed frequently.  The key
to this method's success is that the keyholder to the 833 cannot have the
combination, and the holder of the combination cannot have an 833 key.
Requires a certain atmosphere of distrust, unfortunately.  And slows repairs
way down, especially if the 833's key is lost....