Fiber cut in SF area

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Fri Apr 10 19:41:04 UTC 2009

George William Herbert wrote:
> Scott Doty wrote:
>
>> (Personally, I can think of a "MAE-Clueless" episode that was worse than
>> this, but that was in the 90's...)
>>

> The gas main strike out front of the building in Santa Clara?
>
> Or something else?
>

> -george william herbert
> gherbert at retro.com

Hi George,

No, it was when an AS took their full bgp feed & fed it into their igp (which used RIP, iirc), which generated (de-aggregated) routes into /24's, which they then announced back into bgp...

iirc, part of the chaos than ensued was due to a router bug, so that the routes "stuck around" in global views, even after the AS killed their announcements, and even after physically disconnecting from their provider.

We told our customers "the Internet is broken, please try again later"...which was acceptable back then.  (But I doubt we would get away with just that nowadays... ;-)   )

 -Scott