Outside plant protection, fiber cuts, interwebz down oh noes!

Andy Ringsmuth andyring at inebraska.com
Fri Apr 10 17:51:42 UTC 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Daryl G. Jurbala wrote:

>> 3) From what I understand it's not trivial to raise a manhole
>> cover. Most likely can't be done by one person. Can they be locked?
>> Or were the carriers simply relying on obscurity/barrier to entry?
>

> Your understanding is incorrect.  I'm an average sized guy and I can
> pull a manhole cover with one hand on the right tool. It might take
> 2 hands if it hasn't been opened recently and has lots of pebbles
> and dirt jammed in around it.  It's like everything else: if you
> know how to do it, and you have the right tool, it's simple.

Agreed.  Manhole covers are very simple to remove.  I don't even need
any tools.  I've removed countless manhole covers to retrieve balls,
frisbees, etc., with nothing more than my bare hands.  It's a pretty
trivial task.

Think about it.  All anyone would need to do is pull up to the
manhole, set a few orange cones around it, put on an orange vest and a
hard hat, and crawl on in with your wire cutters and bolt cutter.
Guaranteed NO ONE will even question it.

-Andy