SIP - perhaps botnet? anyone else seeing this?

Leland E. Vandervort leland at taranta.discpro.org
Fri Apr 10 10:20:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> IANAL, but I suggest you check again with your legal department - I
> doubt this is actually the case (your jurisdiction may vary, but in
> most Western nations, you can grab packets for diagnostic/
> troubleshooting/forensics purposes).

Already did check... we can't grab packets except in response to judicial
order or specific abuse case with a valid ID of the end-user, or of course
for general technical diagnostics -- if for diagnostics, we cannot use
such collected data in the context of only a suspicion of abuse at all as
it would constitute an infringement on the individual's privacy.  So in
short, we can do it REACTIVELY in response to a complaint.. but if we do
it PROACTIVELY, then it cannot be used and is of "educational" value only
(with caveats surrounding confidentiality, non-disclosure, and
destruction,, etc.)

> >  So all we can do in the the absence of a specific complaint
>

> But you said you *had* specific complaints, did you not?

yes.. *specific* and action was taken on those *specific* cases... (didn't
actually have to grab traffic though...)

L.