SIP - perhaps botnet? anyone else seeing this?

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Fri Apr 10 09:59:00 UTC 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Leland E. Vandervort wrote:

> legally speaking, we can't "grab packets" in this sense without a
> specific
> validated complaint, court orders, and that kind of thing...

IANAL, but I suggest you check again with your legal department - I
doubt this is actually the case (your jurisdiction may vary, but in
most Western nations, you can grab packets for diagnostic/
troubleshooting/forensics purposes).

Obviously, follow your legal counsel's advice.  That being said, I've
heard various SPs in various jurisdictions around the world state that
they were prohibited from capturing packets, when in fact this wasn't
true at all, they'd been misinformed.  So, you may wish to check in
order to be sure of your position.

>  So all we can do in the the absence of a specific complaint

But you said you *had* specific complaints, did you not?

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

   Our dreams are still big; it's just the future that got small.

		   -- Jason Scott