Outside plant protection, fiber cuts, interwebz down oh noes!

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 05:22:41 UTC 2009

Ravi Pina wrote:

> That said one would *hope* vault access
> is not trivial and there are mechanisms in place to alert of
> unauthorized, unlawful entry.

I regularly drove on these roads when these lines were being put in
up-and-down the SF Peninsula.  There are 4 manhole covers every 1/4 mile
or so that provide access to this fiber.  Do the math.  Multiply by the
number of miles of fiber runs across the world, and the number of access
points per mile on each run.  Exactly how do you plan to make "vault
access non-trivial" and yet make the access as easy as it needs to be
for routine maintenance and repair?

My guess is that it is probably less expensive in the long run to leave
them unprotected and just fix the problems when they occur than to try
to "secure" the vaults and deal with the costs and extended outage
delays when access it "secured" and it takes longer to get into a vault
to fix things.

jc