Fiber cut in SF area

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Thu Apr 9 22:07:22 UTC 2009

David Edwards wrote:
> At 12:55 PM 4/9/2009, you wrote:
>> >From the news coverage it appears to be in the general area of
>> http://cow.org/r/?545c
>>
>> -r
>
> Interesting.  The report I got from a vendor was that it is Above.net
> with a fiber cut in Redwood City which is affecting a circuit of mine
> between 200 Paul in SF and PAIX in Palo Alto, which is a ways from
> south San Jose.
http://www.kcbs.com/Phone-Outage-Likely-Caused-by-Vandals/4174734

''Police say that at 1:20 a.m., four to five fiber optic cables located
beneath a manhole were cut and severed on Monterey Highway, north of
Blossom Hill Road.''

''In San Carlos, vandals struck a second time along Old County Road at
the edge of San Carlos and Redwood City''

I also heard on KCBS:  The cuts were in 4 manholes in San Carlos, and
they said it was "seven cables".  (Not sure if that means the same 7
cables were cut 4 times, or what...)

I also heard: there were 4 cables cut in the South SJ manhole.

A lot of comms (incl. 911) are out for Santa Cruz County, as well as
South Santa Clara Country, including Gilroy and Morgan Hill.

Just now, from their web stream, they refer to this as "an act of sabotage".

On interview was with an "info-worker" in Morgan Hill, and for her, this
was "the end of the world".

(Personally, I can think of a "MAE-Clueless" episode that was worse than
this, but that was in the 90's...)

Finally -- and I'm not a lawyer -- I want to note that killing 911 to a
city can get you tried for murder in California, if someone dies as a
result, if I understand the law correctly.

Better days,

 -Scott