Fiber cut in SF area

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:54:07 UTC 2009

Robert M. Enger wrote:

> That AT&T has stopped provisioning protection fiber for automatic
> restoral is mind boggling.
>
> That our crack (or on crack) govt contracting/emergency-preparedness
> staff didn't demand protected facilities for 911 is another mind
> boggling issue.

911 centers can work just fine without phones.  They use radio for
intra-agency communications with police, fire, etc.  There is also a
large ham radio community who jumps in to help with communications when
needed (testing, simulations, and real disasters).

The primary problem a 911 center has if the phones go out is that people
can't *reach* the 911 center if *their* phone lines don't work.

jc