options for full routing table in 1 year?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 9 15:30:39 UTC 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Jo Rhett wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Tim Durack wrote:
>>> Cisco 6500/7600 you replace SUP32 or SUP720 with SUP720-3BXL
>>>       ...if I understand it, no other cards need replaced?
>>>       (note that this disagrees with my understanding of how their
>>> FIB/CEF
>>> works so I'm curious about this)
>>
>> If you have linecard DFCs they would need to be XLs also.
>

> The DFCs are what make hardware forwarding possible, yeah?
> Upgrading the DFC requires a line-card swap, or just a DFC daughter-
> card?

	DFCs allow hardware forwarding on the linecard.  (Otherwise it's a
centralized lookup on the PFC.. if you do not exceed the PPS limits of
the PFC, you may not need a DFC for your environment).

	It's the same EARL as is on the PFC.  The system will use the lowest
rev PFC/DFC type and they must all be the same type major class.  eg:
PFC2 series vs PFC3 series.. and it will follow the 3C[-XL] -> 3B[-XL]
-> 3A downrev path.  If you have a sup720 w/ pfc3a the dfc-3bxl's will
lower themselves to 3a capabilities.

	btw, this discussion is likely best suited for cisco-nsp.

	- Jared