options for full routing table in 1 year?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Apr 9 01:33:48 UTC 2009

I was chatting with someone the other day and we were trying to build
a complete list of all units which can handle full routing tables 1
year from now, assuming current 4k/month growth (nevermind de-
aggregation)

Juniper M/T-series units could handle 600k before, now 1mil with I-
chip upgrade?
Juniper MX-series units are always 1mil

Cisco 6500/7600 with SUP720-3BXL handles 1mil routes

Force10 E300/600/1200 with dual-cam line cards handle 512k routes
Force10 E600/1200 with Exascale (quad-cam) line cards handle 1mil routes

Is there anything I'm forgetting here?

And if you already have one of these units, the upgrades are:

Juniper M-series units can replace the FPIC card to get new I-chip?
	...if I understand it, no other cards need replaced

Cisco 6500/7600 you replace SUP32 or SUP720 with SUP720-3BXL
	...if I understand it, no other cards need replaced?
	(note that this disagrees with my understanding of how their FIB/CEF
works so I'm curious about this)

Force10 you replace every single line card, since the entire chassis
is limited to the smallest CAM size available.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness