ACLs vs. full firewalls

ubaidali_abdul_razack at 3com.com ubaidali_abdul_razack at 3com.com
Wed Apr 8 02:14:38 UTC 2009

For Defense in depth I would use multi-tiered approach.

Stateless ACL at Border for bound checks
Stateful FW for Checking sessions
Outbound ACLs on Innerchoke points
Application Intelligence and DDOS mitigation by IPS between Border and
Firewall
Endpoint Security using Enterprise Anti-Virus agents/NAC Agents

Regards

Ubaidali Abdul Razack
+65.65436404 (Office)
+65.65436278 (Fax)

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com>
04/08/2009 08:28 AM

NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
cc

Subject
Re: ACLs vs. full firewalls

On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Michael Helmeste wrote:

> However, I wanted to get other opinions of what packet filtering
> solutions people use in the border and in the
> core, and why.

Stateless ACLs in hardware at the edge are important both for
infrastructure self-protection (i.e., iACLs) and for policy
enforcement of the type you indicate.  As others on this thread have
pointed out, do understand your platform characteristics and craft
your ACLs accordingly.

Stateful - i.e., context-aware bidirectional - filtering via a
firewall makes sense in situations in which a) the nodes 'behind' the
firewall aren't typically operating as servers and/or b) the
bidirectional communications patterns which should be observed are
well-known, and in which the participation of hosts is under the
control/influence of the network operator.  For example, in front of a
corporate LAN, or between the tiers of a multi-tiered application, one
can craft quite specific stateful inspection rules which can be used
to explicitly allow and disallow certain types of traffic.

For front-end, publicly-accessible conventional servers, stateful
inspection may not add as much value, as basically every connection
which comes into those servers is unsolicited (i.e., no existing
stateful communications context against which to measure pass/fail
decisions); this is where high-speed stateless ACLs, coupled with host
OS/app/service hardening play a key role.  It's very important to
avoid the instantiation of unnecessary state in front of public-facing
assets, as DDoS attacks are essentially attacks against capacity and
against state.

One should also look into implementing DDoS mitigation techniques such
as S/RTBH, in conjunction with the chosen policy-enforcement regime.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

   Our dreams are still big; it's just the future that got small.

                                    -- Jason Scott

is being sent by 3Com for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure and/or distribution by any
recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete and/or destroy all copies of this message regardless of form and
any included attachments and notify 3Com immediately by contacting the
sender via reply e-mail or forwarding to 3Com at postmaster at 3com.com.