Verizon EVDO Issues

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Apr 7 21:10:24 UTC 2009

Been troubleshooting a very strange problem for a couple of weeks now.

I have a few hundred systems deployed throughout the United States
utilizing EVDO connectivity with Verizon as a carrier. They are stationary.

Over the past few weeks clusters of them in SF and Lewisville TX and a
few other areas have been failing intermittently. They are offline for
several days, then online for a few days then go offline again. They are
running Linux and PPPD.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I realize that there are very
few other organizations with a network footprint like ours (few hundred
static EVDO cards). Other large users like FedEx and Amtrak aren't
reporting any issues. Verizon wants to replace the cards, but that
doesn't seem like a viable solution, as it's localized to a few areas
and is intermittent.

Replies on or off list appreciated.