shipping pre-built cabinets vs. build-on-site

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Apr 7 13:46:49 UTC 2009

Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> writes:

> "shipping", no, "moving" yes.
>
> In past lives I've hired the same good folks who you might use to
> move your house to move entire racks.  The major moving companies
> have teams who have experience with eletronic equipment, including
> full racks.  Any quality 4 post rack with things well secured should
> be able to travel this way.

That's the way that IBM used to ship mainframes out of their Kingston,
NY facility years ago.  Never seen so many United Van Lines trucks in
one place.

The divisions of moving companies that handle trade shows are usually
the same divisions that handle "high tech" moves.  I've used United
and Bekins, but in both cases that was so long ago that my positive
experience with them at the time doesn't count either way for present
day.

-r