shipping pre-built cabinets vs. build-on-site

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Mon Apr 6 21:50:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Elmar K. Bins <elmi at 4ever.de> wrote:

> martin at theicelandguy.com (Martin Hannigan) wrote:
>
> > 1. as-builts designated by the RU
> > 2. physical layer wiring diagram
> > 3. cable run list (optical, fiber, connector type, pots)
> > 4. Bill of materials down to the rack mount kit screws
> > 5. cut view, detailing cabinet details _from the datacenter_.

[ clip ]

> Usually we send parts, and what has proven a very good idea for us is
> to ship really everything, including every cable, connector and adaptor,
> except for the mains connectors which are different in every single
> place. It is crucial to label every port (and I mean "server ports"
> and "strange boxes' ports"; everything but switchports, really) with
> a number and do the same with every single cable and adaptor.

I forgot the piece of documentation that I use for that specifically; the
boxology diagram. That's a visio[1] detail related to chassis and card slots
that correlate directly to the bill of materials for inventory and install
management. I tend to drop ship the entire order to the facility instead of
shipping and then reshipping to save on the shipping costs. This is a
prefernce thing since the costs for 20U and shipping are probably not that
great as compared to doing this for 200 racks.

One other thing that is important for documentation. Pics of the completed
install. I won't release payment until there is an acceptance, either onsite
or via pics and an operational service.

Best,

Martin

1. Most vendors have visio objects to give you upon the asking. Visio itself
comes with many, and there are vendors like NetZoom who make a living
providing chassis and card objects for this level of detail.

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079
Power, Network, and Costs Consulting for Iceland Datacenters and Occupants