shipping pre-built cabinets vs. build-on-site

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 6 19:24:03 UTC 2009

In a message written on Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 02:46:35PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> Anybody here have experience shipping pre-built cabinets, with ~20U of
> routers and servers installed, connected and tested, to remote sites
> for deployment?

"shipping", no, "moving" yes.

In past lives I've hired the same good folks who you might use to
move your house to move entire racks.  The major moving companies
have teams who have experience with eletronic equipment, including
full racks.  Any quality 4 post rack with things well secured should
be able to travel this way.

I've never tried out of range of a truck, in all of my examples it
was put on a truck, driven to the destination, and unloaded by the
same team of folks.  Still, if you don't need it overnight that can be
the entire united states...