shipping pre-built cabinets vs. build-on-site

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Apr 6 19:06:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Joe Abley wrote:

> We've located a few vendors who sell shock-tolerant cabinets, but they're
> expensive and seem to me to be aimed at people who need to ship a set of
> equipment frequently (e.g. to support movie shoots, outside broadcasts, etc),
> rather than people who want to ship just once.
>
> Do I even need to spend time wondering about shock-tolerant cabinets, or
> should I instead be concentrating on finding the right company to wrap the
> cabinets for shipping, and to do the shipping itself?

  Probably be cheaper to get shock-tolerant packing crates and use normal
  cabinets.  You'll probably learn a few hard lessons the first time around
  -- should have put in styrofoam wedges between servers, or the rackmounts
  you used didn't hold up to shipping, or your shipper isn't as careful as
  they said they'd be -- but with the right packing crates and shipping
  partner, it's doable.

  Plus the crates can be re-used, lowering your costs.

Beckman