rackmount managed PDUs

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sun Sep 28 20:27:43 UTC 2008

I've pretty much completely sworn off 0U/Vertical PDUs.[1] In my
experience, unless you're able to have on-hand, prior to cutting
checks, all of the following: sample cabinets, sample servers, sample
PDUs, you will NOT end up with a combo that doesn't suck in some
fashion. Whether it's PDUs that block access to rear rails (as APC's
0Us do, even in their own cabinets), or PDUs which have their supply
cables come out of the PDU horizontally, blocking access to whole
portions of the rear of the cabinet (as the HP 3-phase 208V60A PDUs do
if used in anything other than the specially crafted HP cabinets).
Never again.

To be honest, we made the decision simply to dedicate 4U (and 2U of
horizontal cable-management) to our cabinet PDUs, and it's a decision
I don't regret.

Cheers,

[1] http://blog.megacity.org/archives/2008/03/0u-pdus/