rackmount managed PDUs

Kelly Kane kelly at hawknetworks.com
Thu Sep 25 22:33:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Duane Waddle <duane.waddle at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've had lots of success with both APC and Baytech units.  A lot of
> the Baytech units ONLY have RS-232.

I would like to register a strong vote against APC units. They are
quite fragile in our experience, to the point of 20% DOA on their 0U
managed units. Either the management console wouldn't work, or the
relays were stuck in one position (on or off). Real pain in the neck.
Their RS-232 port is RJ11 as well.

Baytech's however provide pretty much everything we want, and are
cheaper plus more reliable to boot! We only have experience with their
RS-232 models, but the interface is easily scripted, customizable
alarm threshold, and come out of the box ready to go. Our biggest
issue with them so far is a batch of them came in with the threshold
set to 12A instead of 16A.

Kelly