Atrivo/Intercage

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Thu Sep 25 00:12:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 07:06 -0700, Scott Weeks wrote:
> --- trelane at trelane.net wrote:
> From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane at trelane.net>
>
> > Basically is what it boils down to for me - its
> > easy to blame an NSP/ISP/Hoster for what their
> > clients do, it takes real dedication to find out
> > whats *actually* going on.
>
> : We did, and now we're solving the problem.
>

> Apparently, this is what's going on.  Making money at the expense of everyone else on the internet:
>
> ---------------------------
> > If I had the ability... I would cut Esthost as a
> > client... But, in doing so, it causes nearly a
> > quarter if not half of the company's monthly
> > revenue to be cut. That is not too good of a move
> > nor reasonably possible ;)
> >
> > People consider Atrivo/InterCage to be some abuse
> > supporting company...
> >
> > If only any of you knew what the position would be
> > in a company our size.
> >
> > It's not as easy as you believe it to be ;)
> >
> > Russell Mitchell - Russ[at]Atrivo.com
> > Atrivo Technologies
> ------------------------------

Esthost (the main problem) is actually cut off as of this morning. So
actually, they are taking steps to fix the problem.

However, as we all know, there is the real story, and then there is the
NANOG story. We should keep this all in mind, Intercage are actually
trying hard to clean up their network, and now is the time to stop with
the whining and actually help them identify the problems.

Esthost is a tricky situation because it is a significant portion of
their income... but they are offline. I would be reluctant to cut them
off too if I were in their position... not because it's the right thing
to do, but because they are such a large client that I might not be able
to pay the bills at the end of the month. If you were in their position,
wouldn't you have concerns about terminating ANY source of income that
is that large too?

That said, they should have dropped Esthost before it got that big, but
they didn't. People make bad choices, but for fucks sake, lets move on
already.

I have also noticed that most of the people doing the whining aren't
even the people who are tracking the problem. Again, a case of the NANOG
story verses the real story...

William