Procedure to Change Nameservers

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 18 23:31:37 UTC 2008

----- "Crist Clark" <Crist.Clark at globalstar.com> wrote:
> I want to change the nameservers for a bunch of domains. Really,
> all I want to do is change the IP address, but it seems easier
> just to change both the name and IP to avoid any possibility of
> confusion. However, I am not "physically" moving the services.
> These are the same physical servers, just an additional IP address
> assigned to the appropriate interface. I want to do this the
> "right" way.

> Not really too bad. At least we don't have to send in host
> record templates anymore.

In fact, some registrars do require that they have the new zone nameserver
names and IP addresses registered, at least with themselves, and if it's a
new zone, you may not be able to put them inside the zone on first setup;
Domain Discover just did this to me on a change, and I believe I've had the
latter happen to me as well: the automated system wanted to *validate* the
IP to name mapping in... um, DNS.

For a new domain.

Which wasn't up yet.

<sigh>