Procedure to Change Nameservers

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Tue Sep 16 23:39:41 UTC 2008

Crist Clark wrote:
> This should be easy. But sometimes things that seem like they
> should be easy are not.
>
> I want to change the nameservers for a bunch of domains. Really,
> all I want to do is change the IP address, but it seems easier
> just to change both the name and IP to avoid any possibility of
> confusion.

I would just edit the nameserver glue recs and enter the new IPs and add
the new IPs to the zone. If the nameservers are .com, .net or .org the
roots will pick up the new glue within a few minutes, after about 10
days the TTLs on your root glue will expire and you can remove the old
IPs from your firewall rules.

You change your root glue recs for your nameservers via your registrar
for the parent domain.

-mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder / President, easyDNS Technologies Inc.