LoA (Letter of Authorization) for Prefix Filter Modification?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 16 14:24:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Christian Koch wrote:

> I dont mind, i think it is another good step towards 'good filtering'
> but...i think the PITA part is
> downstream 'clueless' customers, who may need an explanation on prefix
> hijacking and the state
> of the internet today, and that these are all just combined efforts to
> minimize the risk of accepting allocations
> that don't belong to you.

IMO, it's just an illusion of added security and is really just CYA for
the provider.  When I fax TWTelecom an LOA that a customer faxed to me,
how does TWTelecom verify the authenticity of that LOA?  I doubt they try.
I suspect it's just filed, and will only be pulled out if the
advertisement is challenged by some 3rd party.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |