Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S.

Max Tulyev president at ukraine.su
Tue Sep 16 09:18:40 UTC 2008

Jean-François Mezei wrote:
> Did western europe ever really have a primary route via the USA to reach
> asia  ? (I realise that during the cable cuts in middle east last year,
> traffic might have been rerouted via USA but this would be a temporary
> situation).

Yes.
And the main issue is not technical, but economic and disorganisation
question.

For example, we need an Internet connectivity in Kazakhstan. The path
through TAE (www.taeint.net) or FLAG-Iran-Turkmenistan-Uzbekistan costs
about $6000 per 1Mbit, and lot of nervous. Path through China-USA is
said about $100-$400 per 1Mbps and easy to get comparing with first two
ones..

Yes, Europe-Asia satellites is a good way too, and it can give less
latency than Europe-USA-Asia in some cases. A lot of traffic to Asia and
Middle East is going this way. But satellite is expensive, and there is
even lack of capacity there. So Fiber around the world is cheaper in
most cases.

--
WBR,
Max Tulyev (MT6561-RIPE, 2:463/253 at FIDO)