Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S.

Jean-François Mezei jfmezei at vaxination.ca
Mon Sep 15 01:16:26 UTC 2008

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> Most Asian providers (at least Northern Asia) use USA, Atlantic path to
> get to Europe.  The capacity going Westt isn't that high in comparision,
> so the extra latency hit is well offset by the much reduced cost.

I take it voice would have priority for use of the existing europe-asian
links ?

When there were a number of cable cuts in middle east last year, I
remember BBC mentioning that internet access to asia was much slowed due
(this was significant to those companies who had outsourced a lot of
stuff from europe to India). I guess this would have been more of media
hype than reality ?

> For instance, out of Australia we have a single, old cable going West
> out of Perth to Singapore (SEA-ME-WE3) which allows only low speed
> circuits,

Was there any thought about building cables to singapore from darwin now
that it has had fibre links to the rest of australia for over a decade ?