ingress SMTP

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Sep 14 05:02:48 UTC 2008

Apologies for not being more clear, because I see the responses going in
tangents I hadn't expected.

Most anti-spam products drop the connection or issue some kind of rejection
message during the SMTP exchange.  If the connection is dropped, the
subscriber's MTA/MUA will likely try and try again until it reaches
expiration time.  For MS Exchange I think that's two or three days.  For
Outlook Express, that message just sits in the Outbox.  If a rejection
message was issued, hopefully the sender can interpret what the MUA is
saying, or the MTA sends back an undeliverable.

So, for service providers who require their subscribers to smarthost
messages through their server, how are they letting the subscribers know in
some kind of active way?

Frank