why not AS number based prefixes aggregation

Paul Francis francis at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Sep 8 19:31:18 UTC 2008

This thread begs an interesting question:  what is the right amount of
granularity for load balance?  Folks here are saying that one-entry-per-AS is
too course...an AS wants to influence load on incoming links, and so it needs
multiple entries.

On the other hand, it is hard to imagine that we need hundreds of entries per
AS, or even dozens.  So I'm curious...if we could wave a magic wand and
control the exact number of entries any AS needs to advertise, what would
folks consider to be roughly the right number of entries?

Thanks,

PF