[Fwd:] Nvidia NICs with duplicate mac addresses

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Sep 5 15:05:53 UTC 2008

> From: "Scott Berkman" <scott.berkman at reignmaker.net>
> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:53:28 -0400 (EDT)
>
> This reminds me of a story I was told a while back that there was a batch
> of 3com NIC's that all went out with the same MAC from the factory.  I
> never found out if that was a rumor/urban legend or the truth.  Anyone
> know firsthand or have an article about that?
>
> 	-Scott

I can attest that it happened. We had several of them when I was at
LLNL back in the early '80s. It was amazingly hard to convince the 3Com
folks that the cards were not usable. (This is not the only case of
this, either, but was probably the biggest in terms of number of cards
as 3Com made a very large percentage of all cards in those days.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)