Force10 Gear - Opinions

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 4 17:10:19 UTC 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Paul Wall wrote:
>> You and I (and any real network operator) must have different
>> definitions of
>> "forward at line rate".
>
> "forwards a gig-e full of 64 byte packets, random src/dst, when you
> hook a smartbits/ixia up to it" is mine.  What's yours?

Forwards a mixed bag of small and large packets from tens of thousands
of streams (not random)

1. at sub-millisecond latency
2. no packet loss at full line rate on multiple ports
3. deals appropriately with multiple ports at full line rate leading
to a single port

And finally, is responsive to operator control even when full line
rate is directed at switch itself.

Note the "not random" comment.  People love to use the random feature
of ixia/etc but it rarely displays actual performance in a production
network.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness