ingress SMTP

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Wed Sep 3 18:20:12 UTC 2008

on Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:15:41PM +0000, *Hobbit* wrote:
> Related question, now that some discussion has started: why the F
> does Gmail refuse to put real, identifiable injection-path headers
> in mail they relay out?  The current "policy" only protects spammer
> identities behind a meaningless 10.x and is completely at odds with
> what almost every other freemail provider does, which of course
> breaks any receiving-end model.  Who's here from Google that I can
> chat with about this?

Dunno who's here from Google, but every time I've asked about this (as
the basis for a discussion of why they do such a sucky job of blocking
419 scams, which we otherwise block by injection point analysis) I've
been told that it's a "privacy" issue. I long suspected it was just a
side effect of an inflexible network architecture, but have been assured
that, no, it's the privacy issue.

And yes, this is completely at odds with the fact that they *do* put
injection point IP audit trail into mail they relay via SMTP.

In the end, it's an idiotic policy, and I hope they wake up and fix it.
In the meantime, I'm reporting every 419 scam I get from them.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)747-9073 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/