ingress SMTP

Justin Scott jscott at gravityfree.com
Wed Sep 3 16:32:39 UTC 2008

> Why don't you set the alternate ports up as the defaults when the
> customer signs up?

Excellent question and unfortunately I don't have an answer.  I will run
that one by management as it is an obviously great idea now that you
mention it.

> We use TLS on port 587 and SSL on 465, most mail clients default to
> these ports when you click the "TLS" or "SSL" box. Bonus-- we tell our
> clients that "we only support encrypted access to their mail". They
> understand.

We also support SSL access for SMTP and POP, so that could be a
possibility as well.

I appreciate the feedback on this from everyone.  I'm still not 100%
convinced that a blanket port block is the answer, but then again I'm
not an ISP so my opinion shouldn't be on the top of the list of
considerations either.  I do have some things to think about for new
customers though <g>.

-Justin Scott, GravityFree