self-promotion [was: 198.32.64.12 -- Harmless mis-route or potential exploit?]

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Sep 3 01:50:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:40:38 -0400
"Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
> Just so that I am clear on your issue here: You believe it is "okay"
> for you to put your linkedin URL in your .sig, but Gadi must not be
> allowed to put it at the top of a post?

Yes, I think that's exactly right.  It's a statement of what the sender
perceives to be important about the email.  I read email for the
content; having the URL at the top is an assertion by the poster that
he thinks his resume is more important than what he says.  (Yes, I know
some of you are about to hit reply to say "maybe it is from Gadi".
Don't bother -- what he says is often quite valuable.)