GLBX De-Peers Intercage [Was: RE: Washington Post: Atrivo/Intercag e, w hy are we peering with the American RBN?]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 1 09:36:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:48:12 -0000, Paul Ferguson said:

> My next question to the peanut gallery is: What do you
> suggest we should do on other hosting IP blocks are are continuing
> to host criminal activity, even in the face of abuse reports, etc.?
>
> Seriously -- I think this is an issue which needs to be addressed
> here. ISPs cannot continue to sweep this issue under the proverbial
> carpet.
>
> Is this an issue that network operations folk don't really care
> about?

If somebody's paying you $n/megabyte for transit/connectivity, what's your
incentive to make them clean up their act and get rid of their P2P filesharing
traffic, spam traffic, and so on?

Serious question, that - how many long-haul providers would be in serious
trouble if all the spam and filesharing suddenly stopped and only legitimate
traffic travelled through their pipes?