Force10 Gear - Opinions

Greg VILLAIN nanog at grrrrreg.net
Mon Sep 1 06:19:24 UTC 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Another thing to note (as near as I can tell, this applies to all
> vendors).  All line cards will function
> only at the lowest common denominator line card CAM level.
>
> IOW, if you have single, dual, and quad-cam cards in your F10
> chassis, they'll all act like
> single-CAM cards.
>
> Owen

I'd have to second that. This is a very annoying fact, that you will
find mentioned nowhere.
What I also used to dislike is the lack of verbosity of 'show
features' - but that was back a year ago.
Btw, you absolutely want to avoid the S series, the CLI is a pain, and
is not the same as the E or C series, and lacks many features.
Price/10G port is interesting though, but not as much as with Arastra,
if that's switching you're into. (never tested any such kits though...)
My own 2 cents.

Greg VILLAIN