Sprint / Cogent

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 31 13:59:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Nick Hilliard wrote:

>> This wasn't the first time Cogent offered something similar.  They did the
>> same thing when Level3 depeered them.
>
> And they'll do it to others in future peering spats.  It's just a bullying
> tactic - entertaining if you're on the sideline; irritating if you're Sprint.

It seems to me, it's a rather empty offer though.  How many Sprint
customers affected by the Sprint/Cogent depeering are actually in
facilities where they can get that free Cogent connection without paying
for expensive backhaul to reach Cogent and already have an ASN, BGP
capable router(s), and globally routable CIDRS so they can access both the
Sprint and Cogent views of the internet?

Does anyone know how many Level3 customers Cogent actually hooked up when
Level3 and Cogent stopped peering?

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |