Sprint / Cogent

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Oct 31 11:47:39 UTC 2008

>>The most interesting part of the press release to me is:
>
>>In the over 1300 on-net locations worldwide where Cogent provides service,
>>Cogent is offering every Sprint-Nextel wireline customer that is unable to
>>connect to Cogent's customers a free 100 megabit per second connection to
>>the Internet for as long as Sprint continues to keep this partitioning of
>>the Internet in place.  Unfortunately, there is no way that Cogent can do
>>the same for the wireless customers of Sprint-Nextel.
>
> This wasn't the first time Cogent offered something similar.  They did the
> same thing when Level3 depeered them.

And they'll do it to others in future peering spats.  It's just a bullying
tactic - entertaining if you're on the sideline; irritating if you're Sprint.

Cogent reminds me of Ethan Coen's poem, which starts:

	The loudest has the final say,
	The wanton win, the rash hold sway,
	The realist's rules of order say
	The drunken driver has the right of way.

Nick